Search This Blog

Voting

Monday, June 2, 2008

Good literature with a lot of similarities


So a couple of days ago while I was waiting my three hours of Drake Institute time, I decided to go over to Borders to do my case notes for practicum and when I was done, I had a little stroll around the store with my amazing Iced Tea with Splenda looking at "women's literature." I am not really sure what I think about this new genre people are jokingly calling "chick-lit." I think it sounds kind of demeaning like we have topics that only we talk about and somehow they are shallow enough to call us chicks. That being said, I found an author that I really like in this genre and I can't get enough of her books. Her name is Jennifer Weiner and she has written some of the most thought provoking books for me. I read "In her shoes" before the movie came out with Cameron Diaz in it and really enjoyed it. I then read "Little Earthquakes" and I really felt connected to one of the characters. That day in borders, I saw her name gleaming from the shelf and I thought I would give her another try. This time, I chose the book "Good in Bed" that she wrote in 2001, my favorite year as you have read in previous posts.


This book has amazed me. I ended up finishing it tonight laying in bed listening to the familar sounds of my boyfriend's snores and enjoyed it to the very last page, even reading the commentary following it, the book club discussion questions, and the interview with the author. I love this book. It would be minimizing it to say I have a lot in common with the main character Cannie. She is so much like me. I decided to give you a list of Cannie and my similiarities so you can see why I was a bit perplexed.



  • Cannie is Jewish.

  • Cannie is plus size.

  • Cannie is brunette.

  • Cannie has green eyes.

  • Cannie has a skinny best friend. (Love you Heather)

  • Cannie is a writer (I like to call myself a writer)

  • Cannie wears Doc Martens.

  • Cannie is very quickly replaced by her ex-boyfriend.

  • Cannie's father left when she was young.

  • Cannie is the "smart one" in the family.

  • Cannie has a hard time with her weight issue.

  • Cannie is extremely passionate about food.

  • Cannie loves good books.

  • Cannie finds the love of someone wonderful who loves her regardless of size.

  • Cannie likes Iced coffee.

There are probably more similiarities and I am missing them but this book really grabbed me. I read it in 3 days and literally got lost in its pages. It brought some insight to me as well. Cannie takes opportunities to care for herself, set boundaries, and do things that are good for HER. I was proud of her and then realized that through her, I am proud of me. I cared so much about what happened to this character. I found out at the end, there is a sequel and my plus size wonderful booty is going to be going to Borders tomorrow to pick it up. I was moved by a book again. It's been a while with Grad School. I remember now what I need to get back to. My true loves.


I am so grateful tonight for the passions that I have and that I am coming out of the numbness of bad boundaries to see that I am still here, ready to be cared for. Tonight, Anthony and I had the "talk" that all couples eventually have about the time frame of a wedding/marriage. Things are looking good and I am praying that God does his perfect will in the timing. He loves us and I know he is looking out for me. My heart will get better. Patience is what I am going to practice.

No comments: